Nyirbogat Old Jewish Cemetery
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Nyírbogát. The older cemetery was established as early as 1830, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1927, which is the date marked on latest tombstone found in the cemetery. Given the dates on the tombstones in the other, newer cemetery in the settlement, burials were no longer conducted in the older cemetery in the 1930’s.
The Jewish community, which at that time numbered 23 people, was established in Nyírbogát around 1840. About 40 years later, the Jewish population increased to 278. After the turn of the century, the Jewish population continued to grow, accounting for 404 people in 1910 and 298 in 1941. The Nyírbogát Jewish community joined the Orthodox stream. The Nyírbogát Jewish community was never independent, and first came under the jurisdiction of Balkány followed by Nyírbátor. During the White Terror, the Jews of Nyírbogát endured great suffering. In May 1944, the Jewish community was deported to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto and then to Auschwitz on May 26.