Nur Jewish Cemetery
“The Jewish cemetery of Nur was likely established during the mid-19th century. It was located about two kilometers northwest of the market square on the road to Zambrów. During the pre-war period, the cemetery had a concrete fence. Parts of the fence have survived and now make up the western border of the necropolis. The cemetery was devastated during and after World War II. The tombstones were used to build the town’s foundations. Apart from the fragment of the concrete wall, only several stones have survived. Currently, the cemetery is covered with forest. There is no informational board. Today part of the area is used as an illegal garbage dump.
Functioning from the early Middle Ages onwards, Nur was granted Chełmno town rights even before 1416. In 1526, Nur became a royal town. A small Jewish community lived there since the beginning of the 18th century. In 1807, ten Jews and 597 Christians lived in town. In 1860, there were 813 inhabitants including 299 Jews. In 1921, the Jewish community numbered about 400 people. In 1940, the Jews from Nur were relocated to the ghetto in Ciechanów from where they were later deported to the extermination camp at Treblinka in 1942.