Nowa Slupia Jewish Cemetery
Nowa Słupia was granted town rights in 1351. It initially developed as a trading settlement and was a meeting point for pilgrims going to the Święty Krzyż Abbey. The first Jews came to the town at the end of the 18th century. Until the second half of the 19th century, Jewish settlement was forbidden, meaning that, in 1787, only 7 Jews lived in the town. In 1827, the number of Jewish inhabitants increased to 80 people. A fully-fledged Jewish community was established in 1877. It also included the inhabitants of the following neighbouring villages: Dębno, Jeziorko, Hucisko, Sosnówka, Wólka, and Mirocice. In 1933, the community numbered about 1,200 Jews. During World War II, a ghetto was established in the town, where approximately 2,000 people were gathered, including Jews from Vienna, Prague, Płock, and Wyszogród. In September 1942, they were transported to Bodzentyn, and then to the extermination camp in Treblinka. The Jewish cemetery was established in the second half of the 18th century. The last burial most likely took place in 1942. The cemetery covers the geodesic plot No. 1423/1 with an area of 0.5 hectares, located between the fire brigade building and the former office of the municipal agricultural service. The cemetery was devastated during World War II. Currently, it is an empty square devoid of any traces of burials.