Novyy Yarychiv Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on a map from 1850. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII and later built over. The Jews began settling in Novyy Yarychiv in the 16th century. In 1577, around 25 Jews lived here, but almost all of them were killed during Tartar raids in 1578. From the 16th until the 18th century, the local Jewish community was subordinated to the community of Zhovkva. In the 18th century, Jews were mainly economically active in the sphere of crafts. In 1822 to 1837, the Hasidic leader Rabbi Shalom Halevi Rosenfeld (1800–1851), known as the “Rava Prodigy”, served as a rabi in Novyy Yarychiv. In the late 19th century, a synagogue, study hall and several kloizes were operating. In 1890, the Jewish population numbered 1,168 (40% of the total population) and reached 1,608, around half of the total population, by 1910. In the post-war period, it decreased to 926 (43% of the total population) in 1921. In the 1930s, the Hasidic court of Baal Shem-Tov’s descendant Shmuel Gutsman (1902–1970) was centred in Novyy Yarychiv. In June 30, 1941, the Nazis occupied the town. On November 10, 1942, a ghetto for more than 2,500 Jews from Novyy Yarychiv and surrounding villages was set up. In the mid-January 1943, it was liquidated. Nearly 1,000 people were murdered at the Jewish cemetery, and another 1,570 in the nearby forest. In the early 1991, a monument was erected in the place of the shooting.