Novokostyantyniv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. But since it appears on maps from the 1870s, it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the late 19th century. Jews are known from the early 17th century. During the Khmelnytskyi massacres, the Jewish community suffered attacks. At the beginning of the 18th century, the town was burned by the Haidamaks. Jewish community revived in the mid-18th century. In 1765, 694 Jews were inhabitants of Novokostyantyniv. Jews earned their living in trade and crafts. In 1889, four synagogues functioned. In the late 19th – early 20th century, Shmuel Margulion (born in 1857), David-Alexander-Jacob Huneys (born in 1861) were rabbis in the town. In 1897, the Jewish population reached 2,320 (59,3% of the total population), and declined to 1,469 in 1923, in the period of the Soviet regime. In 1914, five synagogues operated. By that time, Jews owned a mead brewery, bookstore and 30 shops. In July 1919, a pogrom was staged. In the 1920s – early 1930s, a Jewish elementary school operated. In July 1941, the Germans occupied Novokostyantyniv. In September 1942, the Jews of Novokostyantyniv were deported to the Medzhibozh ghetto.