Nova Vyzhva Jewish Cemetery
The date of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown. However, it does appear on Russian maps from the mid 19th century. The Jews of Vyzhva received the right to found the cemetery in 1663. The first mention of Jews in Nova Vyzhva dates to the 16th century. King Vladislav IV affirmed that Jews had equal rights to Christians. The community was subordinated to the Jewish community of Kovel’ until 1764. In 1784, 30 Jews resided in Nova Vyzhva, and five years later, the community consisted of 11 Jewish houses and 3 taverns. In the first half of the 19th century, one synagogue had been built in the town. Local Jews owned three mills. By 1870, around half the village’s population, 720 individuals, were Jews. In 1897, the population had been reduced to 500 individuals, and after WWI and a pogrom, only 358 Jews remained (18.1% of the total population). During the interwar years, several Jewish organisations and political parties functioned in the village. On June 27, 1941, Nazi troops occupied Nova Vyzhva. On August 5, 1941, 260 Jews were murdered. A ghetto was created in summer 1942 and liquidated shortly afterwards.