Nova Odesa Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is marked on a map from 1860. Presumably, an old part of the cemetery was demolished during WWII. The new part of the cemetery is preserved.
Jews began settling in Nova Odesa in the second half of the 19th century. By 1897, the Jewish population numbered 1,010 Jews (18% of the total population). In 1868, a synagogue operated, and by 1910, there were two synagogues functioning. Rabbi Lev Kagan was officiating for the community in the 1890s. In 1910, the Jewish population had reached 4,205 individuals (42% of the total population). In 1913, the only chemist’s shop and two ironmongery stalls were under Jewish ownership. The Jewish community suffered during the Civil War. The number of the Jews living in Nova Odesa fell to 389 in 1923. In 1926, the natives of Nova Odesa set up four Jewish farming societies in the Kherson region. A Yiddish school was active in Nova Odesa during the same time. By 1939, 228 Jews were living here. On August 12, 1941, Nazi troops occupied the town. In September 1941, 125 Jews were murdered here. In 2005, Nova Odesa had a religious community and a Jewish population.