Nova Chortoryia Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Lyubarsky
Settlement
Nova Chortoryia
Site address
From the No.6 Soborna street (Staraya Chartoria), drive north for 350m, then turn left onto Lyubomyrka for 270m and then the cemetery is on the left on the hill.
GPS coordinates
50.02629, 27.68407
Perimeter length
704 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
Not fenced
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is on the slope. It is covered with seasonal vegetation. Local residents said that around 1960, a brick factory was built and sometime in the 1970s, clay was taken from the cemetery. In 1975, the cemetery was no longer there, the entire territory of the cemetery was leveled with a grader and they continued to dig clay. Locals remember the cemetery well; earlier its territory was surrounded by a moat.
Number of existing gravestones
1. Locals say that this tombstone appeared recently.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemtery establishment is unknown. The cemetery is marked as a Jewish one on the 1870s map, and simply as a cemetery in the map from the 1900s. Presumably, it operated until the second half of the 19th century. According to locals, the clay from the cemetery site was dug for the purposes of the brick factory in the 1970s.

The town of Nova Chortoryia (Ukr. Нова Чортория, Rus. Новая Чертория, Yid. נײַ־טשערטריִע) had a Jewish population of 49 people in the mid-18th century. This community had grown to 502 by 1897, which was 27% of the town, and fell slightly to 448 by 1923.
As of 1885, the Jewish community maintained a prayer house. On the 27th of November 1941, 207
Jews were murdered by the Germans.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown. It is marked on maps from the 1870s. The cemetery was demolished in the early 1970s, the clay from the cemetery was used by the
local brick factory.

View 3D model