Niemodlin Jewish Cemetery
Niemodlin was granted town rights in 1283. The beginning of Jewish settlement occurred after the Prussian king issued an edict regarding more tolerable civil relations in March 1812. Until that time, the De Non Tolerandis Judeis privilege was enforced in Niemodlin. On September 26, 1847, an independent Jewish community was established. In 1890, the community numbered 84 Jews. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, there was increasing emigration of Jews to the west. In 1925, only three Jews remained in the town. Soon after they also left Niemodlin.
The Jewish cemetery in Niemodlin is located on Bohaterów Powstań Śląskich Street, about 1.5 km south-west of the town center, on the left side of the road from Niemodlin to Nysa, right next to the building of the former synagogue. It covers an area of approximately 30 acres. The necropolis was established in the first half of the 19th century. In 1939, the cemetery became the property of the Reich Association of Jews in Germany. During World War II, the cemetery was devastated, and the destruction was later continued after 1945. According to eye-witnesses, the matzevot remained in the area until the 1960s, when the cemetery was completely destroyed. In the 1970s, the area became private property. No matzevah has survived. Around 2019, the current owner of the cemetery created an installation, including crosses emerging from the rubble or symbolic graves. The building of the former synagogue was also rebuilt, which, according to the owner, is supposed to be an ecumenical meeting place. The area is fenced, and the original fragment of the wall, the only remnant of the former cemetery, has been incorporated into the fence. There is no plaque informing about the existence of a Jewish cemetery in this place.