Niemirow Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Niemirów is located about 650 meters southeast of the town center, between an extension of Brzeska Street and the Bug River, near the Catholic cemetery. It is approximately 400 m west of the Polish-Belarusian border. The date of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown. The cemetery was probably established in the first half of the 19th century. The devastation of the necropolis probably began during World War II. According to unconfirmed information, some matzevot (sacred pillar or tombstone) were used between 1939 and 1941 to build fortifications for the so-called Molotov Line formation. After 1945, the area was afforested. As a result of far-reaching destruction, almost all above-ground traces of the cemetery vanished. In the area, there are few stones, including the ones bonded with concrete mortar. The cemetery is unfenced and its former boundaries are invisible. The area is covered with a mixed forest. There is no form of commemoration of any kind. The owner of the area is the State Forests, the Nurzec Forest District. Restitution proceedings are pending. The facility is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments.
The first Jews settled in Niemirów probably at the beginning of the 18th century. In 1807, 107 Jews lived in the town, in 1897 – 157 Jews, in 1921 – 149 Jews (19% of the total population). Most of them were killed during World War II.