Nemencine Jewish Cemetery
According to the Culturos Vertubiu Registras, the cemetery was established in the 18th century.
It is likely that Jews began to settle in Nemenčinė (Pl. Niemenczyn) after the expulsion of Russian Jews from villages in May 1882. In 1885, the Jewish population had already reached 340, while the total number of inhabitants was 471. The Jews established a congregation, built a beit-midrash and opened a cheder. R. Yaakov Halevi Kopstein became the community’s rabbi in 1884 and served the congregation for almost half a century. During WWI and the turbulent years following the collapse of the Russian Empire, the community endured hardships and was often subjected to violence. Community life was restored in 1920 with the help of the JDC and YEKOPO (Jewish Committee to Aid Victims of the War). Nemenčinė natives who had moved to the US funded the construction of a new beit-midrash. Zionist organisations were active in the town, and a Hebrew primary school, where most of the children studied, was opened. During WWII the town was briefly under Soviet control. The Germans arrived in late June 1941. On September 20, most of the Jewish residents of Nemenčinė were murdered in the forest. A few were able to escape and join the partisans.