Napkor Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Napkor was most probably established as early as 1870, since it is marked on the cadastral map of that year. Currently, at least 12 gravestones remain in its territory, some of which bear faint Hebrew inscriptions, others with no text whatsoever.
Napkor is a village in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county in the Northern Great Plain region of eastern Hungary. It is one of the oldest villages in this region and has existed since the 11th century. After the revolution and the plague in the 18th century, the village’s population experienced a notable population loss. In the 19th century, Roman Catholic and a few Jewish people settled in the village.
In 1880, the Jewish community in Napkor numbered 87 people out of 1,575 inhabitants. The Jewish population increased and in 1941, there were 185 Jewish people out of 1,575 total residents. 73 Jews from Napkor died during the Holocaust.