Nagyvarsany Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Nagyvarsány was established as early as 1888, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1932. The cemetery has not been fenced.
Nagyvarsány is a settlement in Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg county. It is not known exactly when the first Jewish families settled in Nagyvarsány, though according to a 1753 district tax census, a Jewish family lived in the settlement that year. In 1851, Elek Fényes also mentioned some Jews in the village. Jews did not make up a significant number of the town’s population. In 1880, 55 of the town’s 723 inhabitants were Jews, 33 of 1,459 in 1930 were Jewish, and 29 of 1,648 declared themselves Jewish in 1941. In 1944, the Jews of Nagyvarsány were deported. At the time of the 1949 census, the settlement no longer had any Jews.