Nafpaktos Jewish Cemetery
Benjamin of Tudela noted the presence of 100 Jews in Nafpaktos in the 12th century. The Jewish community developed rapidly during the Byzantine period. The community further expanded in 1429 as a result of conquests. In 1597, there were 188 Jews. In 1806, there were 30 Jews (of a total population of 2,650). In 1943, the Jews were arrested and deported to the Birkenau (Auschwitz) death camp. After the war, a few survivors returned to Nafpaktos.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it can be assumed that it emerged in the 12th century.