Myropil Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1896. It is not marked on maps from the 1890-1910s.
Jewish residents in Myropil’ (Ukr. Миропіль, Rus. Мирополь, Yid. מיראָפּאָליע) were first mentioned in 1721. The Jewish population rose from 865 in 1847 to 1,912 (39% of the town) in 1897, at that time the community maintained two prayer houses and a talmud-torah. Jews were attacked during the revolutions of 1905–7 and 1917, as well as during the Civil War of 1918–21. In the 1920s, Jews of Myropil’ founded an agricultural colony in the Kherson District (Miropol’skii Khleborob). Although the Soviet authorities closed cheders, a mikveh still operated in the late 1920s and the town also had a Yiddish-language school. There were about 600 Jews in Myropil’ in 1941, when Nazi Germany invaded the USSR. Some of the Jews were able to evacuate, however around 400 Jews who remained in Myropil’ were confined in a ghetto and murdered between July 1941 & February 1942.
A small Jewish community existed in Myropil’ after WWII. There were 11 Jews in Myropil’ in 1989.
Myropil’ is the birthplace of Bernard (Berl) Gantmacher (1893–1955), the founder of the clothing brand GANT.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the oldest tombstone dates back to 1896. There is an ohel, which has been built more recently.