Mykulyntsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ternopyl
District
Terebovlya
Settlement
Mykulyntsi
Site address
The cemetery is located on the crossroads of Bohdana Khmel’nyts’koho and Vasylya Stusa Streets.
GPS coordinates
49.38876, 25.61129
Perimeter length
331 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. The southern and eastern parts of the site are overbuilt.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 20 fragments of tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
The only dated tombstone of 1852.
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on cadastral maps of 1861. In the 1930s, it appears on maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG). The cemetery was vandalised during WWII. The gravestones from the site were used to pave the streets of Mikulyntsi.

The first records about the Jews in Mikulyntsi relate to 1716. By 1890, the Jewish population reached a peak of 2,468 (64,3% of the total population). The active Zionist movement was opposed by Agudat Israel, supported by Ruzhin Hasidism dynasty. Local Jews suffered a fire of 1903. The Jewish population declined to 1,891 (58,7% of the total population) in 1921 because of emigration. In 1910, ten synagogues and a school supported by Baron Hirsh operated. The economic conditions of the Jewish community of Mykulyntsi worsen in the interwar period. In 1931, 1,770 Jewish residents inhabited in the town. On July 5, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Mikulyntsi. On August 31, 1942, about 1,200 Jews were sent to Belzec death camp, around 100 were murdered on the spot.

View 3D model