Mykolayiv Mishkove Cemetery – Jewish Section

Cemetery Information

Country
Moldova
Region
Kishinev
District
Mykolaiv
Settlement
Mishkove
Site address
Mykolayiv Jewish Section on Mishkove Cemetery
GPS coordinates
46.980202,32.070106
Perimeter length
1015 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Jewish section within municipal cemetery. The Jewish section is not fenced. The section is operating and cared for.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 2,500
Date of oldest tombstone
1956
Date of newest tombstone
2019
Urgency of erecting a fence
Low
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
There is an abandoned house on the Jewish part of the cemetery, but its function is unclear. On the non-Jewish part of the cemetery, there is a caretaker's house.
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The Jewish section on the Mishkove municipal cemetery of Mykolayiv was opened in the early 1970s. Some burials and gravestones from the international cemetery were moved during its demolition to to this cemetery section. The Jewish section on Mishkove cemetery is currently operational.

The Jews began to settle in Mykolayiv during the late 18th century. In 1820s, a Great Synagogue was operating. Crafts and trade were the main occupations of the Jews. In 1830, the Jews were prohibited from residing in the town. In 1881 and 1899, pogroms were staged in the city. As a reaction, the Jewish community formed self-defence detachments which prevented the pogrom in 1905. In 1897, the Jewish population numbered 20,109 (22% of the total population). In the early 20th century, the educational sphere was developing and 15 educational facilities were maintained by the Jewish community. The population numbered 21,786 in 1926. In the same year, a law court in which lawsuits and claims were regarded in Yiddish was established. In the 1920s, five elementary school for Jewish children were functioning. A vocational school and a high school were also active. Many Jews worked at factories and plants. The population numbered 25,280 (15% of the total population) in 1939. The Wehrmacht occupied Mykolayiv on August 17, 1941. From September 21 to 23, 1941, more than 6,000 Jews were murdered 12 km outside of the city. One monument was erected in 1962. In 2008, another monument was set up on the place of the mass shooting. A Jewish religion community was re-established in Mykolaiv in 1991, and there was a Jewish population functioning here in 2016.