Mukachevo Old Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located behind 102 Myru Street, and borders Kyivs’ka Street on its southeast side.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 1.5 metre tall masonry wall with a metal gate.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery site is clear and well-maintained. During the cemetery’s reconstruction, several hundred new cenotaphs were installed on the site. Some of the preserved matzeva fragments (about 60 pieces) were built into the wall, while others were placed together to create memorials. The fence is in good condition. No specific work is needed.
Number of existing gravestones
4. Four tombstones stand near the entrance of the cemetery. Around 60 matzevot fragments have been built into the wall or piled next to the entrance.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel dedicated to Rabbi Issakhar Berish, Rabbi Menashe, and other relatives. There are also two memorials dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust, one of which was installed by Alex Rovt and his family.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest tombstone dates to the first half of the 19th century, so it can be assumed it was founded around that era. It first appears on a cadastral map from 1865.