Mostove Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Moldova
Region
Kishinev
District
Domanivka
Settlement
Mostove
Site address
Mostove Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
47.41468, 31.00848
Perimeter length
320 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is adandoned and an old part of it is largely ruined. The is some litter, including animal bones, on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
19
Date of oldest tombstone
1831
Date of newest tombstone
1992
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The oldest gravestone on the Mostove Jewish cemetery dates from 1831. Presumably, the old part of it was ruined during of after WWII. The Jews of Mostove used the cemetery at least until 1992. Local residents said that “respectful people” were buried on the cemetery, including teachers and the school director. The community already existed in 1831, as cemetery dating show. In 1868, a synagogue was operating. In 1897, the Jewish population was 862 (54% of the total population). Jews were mainly engaged in commerce during the 19th and early 20th century. By 1914, the only pharmacy and two warehouses with pharmacy goods as well as 15 stalls, were under Jewish ownership. In 1939, the Jews population numbered 226. In August 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Mostove and set up a ghetto. In January 1942, nearly 200 Jews were killed. Another Aktion took place in March 17, 1942, when more than 400 Jews (including Jewish refugees from Bessarabia) were murdered. During summer and autumn 1942, around 900 Jews of Mostove and refugees from Transnistria were executed. As the cemetery dating show, after WWII there was a Jewish population in Mostove at least until 1992.