Monastyrys’ka Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to dates on the preserved gravestone, it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed in the early 20th century. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished during the Soviet era.
The Jews of Monastyryska are known since 1625. The Jewish population was engaged in craftwork. The first synagogue was built in the mid-17th century. A Jewish cemetery already operated in the second half of the 18th century. At the end of the 18th century, David-Zvi Oyerbach (1743 – 1808) founded Hasidic dynasty in the town. The dynasty was managed by his son Nachman-Zeev (1790-1856) after him. The Jews of Monastyryska identified themselves with Hasidism. In 1880, 2,292 Jews (52,9% of the total population) lived in Monastyryska.
In 1894, the first Zionist organization was opened. In 1903, many Jewish houses and a synagogue was destroyed by fire. In 1910, four synagogues operated. In the prewar period, a vocational school supported by Baron Hirsch, and a school of Safa Brura movement were operated in Monastyryska. The Jewish population declined to 1,168 (39,3% of the total population) in 1921 due to distresses of WWI, emigration and epidemics. In 1931, 1,488 Jew resided in Monastyryska. On July 4, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Monastyryska. On March and June 1942, Jews from Koropets and surrounding villages were dispatched to the town. On October 5, 1942, about 1,000 Jews were deported to the Belzec extermination camp, and several dozens of Jews were murdered on the spot. The remnants of the Jewish community of Monastyryska were deported to Buchach. Around 20 local Jews survived the war. Two squares were built on the sites of two Jewish cemeteries after 1945.