Moczydly Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery of the former Jewish community in Raczki is about 800 metres southwest of the market square, in the village of Moczydły, at the intersection of Południowa Street and road No. 655. It covers a rectangular plot of land with an area of 1.71 hectares. There is no information about the cemetery’s establishment date. Because of cartographic sources (including a military map from 1795-1805), it is known that the cemetery was established no later than 1805. The cemetery fell into disrepair during and after World War II. In 1964, the Minister of Municipal Economy signed an order to close the cemetery. The list of cemeteries prepared by the Provincial Office in Suwałki in 1991 states that the cemetery covered an area of 1.71 hectares, was owned by the State Treasury, was fenced with a metal mesh, the condition of the fence was bad, and there were no traces of graves or tombstones. It was recommended to cleaning the cemetery, repair the fence, and setting up an information board. In 2013, there was a plan to build a bypass to Ryczek through the part of the cemetery. The officials decided to change the route. almost all above-ground traces of the cemetery have vanished. There are only single, destroyed sandstone stelae (including the pediment of Josef, son of […] el Michel) and concrete tombs in the cemetery. The boundaries of the cemetery are imperceptible, though they are probably partly marked by concrete posts of a modern fence without a mesh. The area is covered with forest and there is no form of commemoration. The cemetery is listed in the Municipal and Provincial Register of Monuments and the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Podlaskie Province.
The first records of Jews in Raczki come from 1670. In 1911, 1,464 Jews (55.6% of the population) lived in the town, and 413 in 1938 (22.4%). Most of Raczki’s Jews were murdered during World War II.