Miroslavas Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was most likely founded in the late 19th century.
Jews began to settle in Miroslavas (Pl. Mirosław, Yid. מיראָסלאַוו) in the early 19th century. The synagogue was built in 1896. In 1897, there were 485 Jews in the town. During WWI, the Jews of Miroslavas were exiled to Central Russia by the retreating Russian army, not all of them returned. The interwar period witnessed a large Jewish emigration to Palestine and the US. Only about 20 families remained in 1940. Soon after the German invasion in 1941, all of the Miroslavas Jews were murdered in a nearby forest, as well as the Jews from Alytus and other neighbouring towns. A memorial marks the remembrance site.