Milota Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Hungary
Region
Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg
District
Fehérgyarmati
Settlement
Milota
Site address
The Jewish cemetery is now occupied by the municipal cemetery, on Sport Street.
GPS coordinates
48.10953, 22.78596
Perimeter length
82 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The majority of the territory marked on the cadastral map is overbuilt by Christian graves. In the middle of the territory there is a large Thuja bush, inside of it 2 gravestones were found, however they were impossible to read or identify them as Jewish or not.
Number of existing gravestones
0
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Milota was established as early as 1895, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. It was demolished at an unknown time. Most of the cemetery’s territory is now overtaken by Christian graves from the adjacent local cemetery.

According to census data, 19 Jews lived in Milota in 1840. In 1880, of the town’s total population of 702, 24 people were Jews. From 1885, the Jewish community of Milota came under the jurisdiction of the Fehérgyarmat Jewish community. 40 Jews lived in the town in 1910, 17 in 1920, and 8 in 1930. In 1944, merely 2 Jewish families remained in the village. The only Jew who survived emigrated to South America before the Holocaust. By 1945, there were no more Jews in Milota. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 10 Jews from Milota were murdered in the Holocaust.