Michalovce Jewish Cemetery in Straniany
There was a small community in Straniany (over the Laborets river), which was dependent on that of Michalovce, but had its own rabbi and prayer house. The oldest tombstones on this cemetery date to the 1890s. It did not appear on a detailed map of the region from the 1880s. The cemetery most likely emerged in the late 19th century. It remained in use until 1925, when the Straniany was joined to Michalovce. From 1925, Straniany Jews used the cemetery on Hradek.
But, according to Yizkor book of Michalovce, there was an older Jewish cemetery in Straniany – which was also the first Jewish cemetery of Michalovce, which existed since the end of 18th century. Its location is unknown, but different sources agree that it was in Straniany. “The first Jewish cemetery was in Straniany, opposite the Red Wood. Later Count Sztaray gave a Hradek hill for that purpose” (Yizkor Michalovce, p. 31). Martin Molnár (dolnyzemplin.sk) mentions that Michalovce Hevra kadisha was founded in the Straniany prayer house in 1797, which can be connected to the first cemetery in Straniany. Emil Knieza, a Holocaust survivor from Michalovce, recalls: “Near Laboretz there was a still more ancient cemetery some say from the 16th or 17th century”. (Yizkor Michalovitz, p. 231). Additional research is required to determine its exact location.