Mezhyrych Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given that the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the first half of the 20th century and that it is found marked on old maps from the 1870s, it can be assumed that it was established no later than the second half of the 19th century and was operating in the first half of the 20th century. It is marked on maps from the 1870s.
The Jewish agricultural colony in Mezhyrich (Ukr. Межиріч, Rus. Межирич) was established in 1846 by Jews from Vitebsk and Mogilev Governorates in present-day Belarus. The colony was officially referred to as Number 4, hence the Yiddish nickname Ferter Numer (פֿערטער נומער). The Jewish population was 540 in 1858, and 448 (82% of the total population). The community maintained a synagogue. The Soviet authorities created a collective farm in 1929. A Yiddish-language elementary school operated in the interwar period. After the Germans arrived in October 1941, the few Jews who remained in Mezhyrich were murdered.
It is not known when exactly the cemetery was founded. The only tombstone with a partly readable inscription probably dates to 1934 or 1935.