Melnytsya Podilska New Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably it was established in early 20th cent. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the 90s years of the 20th century.
The Jews are known in the town since the late 18th century. The Jewish community of Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka became independent in the first half of the 18th century. The Jewish population reached 1,429 (39,7% of the total population) in 1880. In the early 20th century, the Hasidic court was set up by Shlomo Yosef Friedman (1871-1927). A Hebrew school was opened in 1920. In 1921, a loan bank was established with the support of the Jewish Joint Distribution Committee. The Jewish population stood at 1,568 in 1931. In July 1941, the Hungarian army occupied the town. The Wehrmacht troops came to Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka in August 1941. In September-October, 1942, the Jews of Melnytsya-Podil’s’ka and neighbouring villages were deported to the Belzec death camp and Borschiv. The fleed Jews were found and murdered at the Jewish cemetery. 30 local Jews survived the war.