Maruszow Old Jewish Cemetery
Markuszów is a small town located about 30 km from Lublin. It was founded as a private town, with its town rights granted in the mid-16th century due to the efforts of the Firlej family. Data on individual Jewish inhabitants dates back to the first half of the 17th century, however a Jewish community was not established until the end of the 17th century. The Jewish quarter was located to the east of the market square, and in time, it also expanded to the south-eastern part of Markuszów. 100m to the east of the market square, there was a synagogue with a small cemetery located to the north of the building.
Information regarding the shape and area (0.03 hectares) of the cemetery comes from a map of 1922. The old cemetery was replaced with a new cemetery in the first quarter of the 19th century. Before the war, the partially fenced area of the old cemetery had become overgrown with shrubs, however there still were several matzevot. It has not been determined whether the matzevot disappeared during World War II or after the war. It is possible that they were destroyed during the bombing in September 1939 as at that time, a new brick synagogue located approximately 50 meters south of the cemetery was destroyed. In the 1970s, the area of the old synagogue and the old cemetery adjacent to it from the north were redeveloped. A building was erected there, housing the Commune Office, Community Center and Fire Department. The cemetery was located at the northern end of Marek Sobieskiego Street, on its eastern side, at the intersection with Strażacka Street. It was rectangular with small annexes in the south-west and south-east corners. Nowadays there is no evidence that a Jewish cemetery once existed in this place.