Markivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Vinnytsia
District
Tomashpil'
Settlement
Markivka
Site address
Cemetery is adjacent to a house or located on the territory of the site belonging to it. The cemetery is located adjacent to 62 Shkil’na Street.
GPS coordinates
48.46234, 28.71259
Perimeter length
205 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located on a slope and is covered with seasonal vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
21
Date of oldest tombstone
1799 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1932 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1799, it can be inferred it was already in use by the late 18th century. It can be found marked on a map of Western Russia from the 1900s.

There is not much information on the Jewish community of Markivka. It is known that in 1765 there were only 4 Jews living there. According to the census of 1897 the Jewish population numbered 257 people, out of the total of 1,610. By 1926 the population had halved due to the economic hardship and there were only 124 Jews.
Markivka was occupied on July 22, 1941. Germans executed those who did not escape before Markivka was annexed to Transnistria.
There is no information on the modern Jewish community of Markivka.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown The cemetery is marked on the maps from the 1900s of the region. Supposedly, it was founded no later than in the second half of the 18th century, the earliest preserved gravestone dates to 1799 and the most recent to 1932. There are around 21 gravestones. The cemetery is abandoned; its territory is used for cattle grazing.