Mariapocs Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Máriapócs was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that date. However, very few tombstones have been preserved in the cemetery. Two of the tombstones were erected 1940, thus the cemetery remained in operation until at least that year. The cemetery was fenced by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries in 2011.
The first records regarding the Jewish community of Máriapócs date to 1770. In 1855, the community lost its independence and joined the bigger Jewish community of Nyírbátor. Following disagreements that arose at the Jewish Congress in 1867, which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry, the Jews of Máriapócs joined the Orthodox stream. Prior to the Holocaust, in 1840, the Jewish community of Máriapócs had a population of 223 people, which later decreased to 87 in 1941. The Hungarian authorities deported the Jews to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto and then to Auschwitz. Only 3 Jews lived in Máriapócs around 1949.