Malyn Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1908. It is not marked on maps from the 1900s.
Malyn (Ukr., Rus. Малин, Yid. מאַלין) had a Jewish population of 1,064 in 1847, and 2,547 (60% of the town) in 1897. As of 1885, the town had a synagogue and 5 Jewish prayer houses. During the Civil War, the community survived a pogrom. A Jewish school operated in the interwar period. There were 3,607 Jews in Malyn (32%) in 1939. After the German invasion in 1941, some of the Jews managed to flee the advancing German army. Around 1,000 were murdered in August 1941. The town had a quite large Jewish community after WWII – around 1,200 in 1959. As of 2001, there were 44 Jews living in Malyn and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the earliest identifiable tombstone dates back to 1908, the most recent to 1940.