Malyn New Jewish Cemetery
The exact year of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, it is likely that it was established in the 1940’s. According to locals, several tombstones which predate this cemetery were transfered here from another cemetery.
Malyn (Ukr., Rus. Малин, Yid. מאַלין) had a Jewish population of 1,064 in 1847, and 2,547 (60% of the town) in 1897. As of 1885, the town had a synagogue and 5 Jewish prayer houses. During the Civil War, the community survived a pogrom. A Jewish school operated in the interwar period. There were 3,607 Jews in Malyn (32%) in 1939. After the German invasion in 1941, some of the Jews managed to flee the advancing German army. Around 1,000 were murdered in August 1941. The town had a quite large Jewish community after WWII – around 1,200 in 1959. As of 2001, there were 44 Jews living in Malyn and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the earliest identifiable tombstone dates back to 1929. Some of the tombstones, however, may have been brought from one of the two older cemeteries. It is likely that the cemetery emerged in the 1940s at the latest.