Mali Heyivtsi Jewish Cemetery
Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Mali Heyivtsi was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1892. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the latest preserved gravestone dates to 1935.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Mali Heyivtsi in the late 18th century. In 1880, 76 Jews were living in the town. In 1910, the Jewish population numbered 65. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 48. In 1930, there were 33 Jews living in Mali Heyivtsi. Hungarian forces arrived in the town in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 34 Jews living in Mali Heyivtsi in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Mali Heyivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.