Mala Dobron’ Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Mala Dobron’ already existed in 1855, evident from the inscription on the oldest tombstone. It was in use until WWII. There is one post-war burial dating from 1973.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Mala Dobron’ in the early 19th century. In 1830, there were 15 Jews living in Mala Dobron’. In 1880, the Jewish population increased to 182 (17% of the total population). In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population remained stable. Jews earned their livelihoods from farming, working and managing the town’s mineral baths. Hungarian forces arrived to Mala Dobron’ in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, the Jewish population had decreased to 139. In 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In August 1941, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining 140 Jews of Mala Dobron’ were deported to Auschwitz in mid-May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.