Maheriv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on a cadastral map of 1854. Later, in the 1860s and 1880s, it appears on Austro-Hungarian maps. In 1939, it was marked on Polish maps of Wojskowy Instytut Geograficzny (WIG). According to locals, the cemetery was demolished during the Soviet era. The Jews of Maheriv are first recorded in 1629. In the late 18th century, the Jews were mostly engaged in crafts (leatherworking, tailoring) and trade. The Jewish population numbered 1,138 (40.6% of the total population) in 1880. In spite of the started immigration to the USA in the late 19th century, the Jewish population was growing year by year in the pre-war period. In 1900, 1,322 Jews (41.8% of the total population) lived in Maheriv and about 1,500 in 1910. In the early 20th century, three synagogues operated. At that time, Aryeh-Leib Rokeh and his son Nohum-Aron from the Belz Hassidic dynasty lived here. Bikur Holim society, Linas ha-Tzedek and other community organisations were established. During the WWI, almost all Jewish houses and synagogues were burnt. In 1921, the Jewish population reduced to nearly 600 people (50% of the total population). In the interwar period, Zionist organisations were active, and two Jewish schools worked. The Joint Distribution Committee supported the community. In September 1942, the Jewish community of Maheriv were deported to the Rava-Ruska ghetto, and later to the Belzec death camp. Some Jews were executed during transportations.