Lyubashivka Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Odessa
District
Liubashivka
Settlement
Lyubashivka
Site address
Lyubashivka Old Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
47.83318, 30.25659
Perimeter length
588 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery. The cemetery territory is overbuilt: houses, offices and shops are located on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Private
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Lyubashivka was founded in 1830. The cemetery was demolished in the first part of the 20th century. Supposedly, it was overbuilt after WWII. The editorial office of “Hliborob” newspaper was established on the cemetery’s territory.

In 1868, around 180 Jews (26% of the total population) lived in Lyubashivka. During the early 20th century, about 200 Jewish families were residing here. Rabbi Shmuel-Zeev Shechter (1875–?) served in Lyubashivka during the late 19th and early 20th century. In 1919, detachments of the Volunteer Army carried out a pogrom, which some Jews escaped by fleeing to Ivanovka. After the pogrom, 50 to 60 Jewish families remained in Lyubashivka. In 1939, the Jewish population numbered 671 individuals. In summer of 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied the town, and a ghetto was created. In September 1941, about 350 Jews were executed.