Lysets Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Ivano-Frankivsk
District
Tysmenytsia
Settlement
Lysets'
Site address
The cemetery is located behind the house at 25, Stefanyka Street. Enter the site through the yard of the second house on O. Kobylyans'koyi Street.
GPS coordinates
48.87408, 24.61303
Perimeter length
340 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery site is surrounded by fences of the bordering private houses.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
200. Vegetation on the site does not allow to establish the exact number of gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1793 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1929 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are two ohels on the cemetery site, constructed by the Ohaley Tsadikim union. The one is dedicated to Rabbi Matityahu (died in 1831), Rabbi Mordekhai Maltzis and Rabbi Israel. The other is dedicated to a daughter of Rabbi Israel Ari (died in 1900), her name is erased.
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the VAAD database, the oldest gravestone relates to the mid-18th century. The oldest gravestone found by ESJF expedition relates to the late 18th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First, it appears on the Third military survey of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the 1880s.

View 3D model