Luzhany Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 200 metres in the northern direction from the last house at the end of Gagarina Street. The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence, constructed by ESJF in October 2017.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
In 1925, a Jewish cemetery was established. According to epigraphic data, the cemetery was operating until WWII.
Jews settled in Luzhany in the 18th century. In the early 20th century, a Hebrew school was opened. A mikvah was ruined during the WWI. In the interwar period, two synagogues, Jewish libraries and two heders were built and functioned. In the 1920s, the local Jews were mainly engaged in the trade of agricultural production, crafts and distillery. 374 Jews (15,4% of the total) resided in Luzhany in 1930. At that period, a Jewish community was organised. In July 1941, German-Romanian troops occupied Luzhany. At the first days of the occupation, 300 Jews were expelled to the Polish death camps. In October 1941, a few thousands of Jews were deported to Transnistria.