Lututow Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Poland
Region
Łódzkie Voivodeship
District
Wieruszów
Settlement
Lututów
Site address
Adjacent to 13, Młynek Street.
GPS coordinates
51.3596427, 18.4213257
Perimeter length
570 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
yes
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is located in the forest. No historical traces of the existence of the cemetery have survived.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Other
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

Lututów was founded in 1406. Individual Jewish families settled in Lututów in the 18th century. Due to the conditional agreement for Jews to settle in the town, signed by the King’s steward in 1844, Jewish settlement began to rapidly expand. Around the mid-19th century, a kehilla was established. Between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the majority of residents of Lututów were Jewish. In 1921, Jewish residents comprised 68,8% out of the total population of 1,466. At the beginning of 1939, there were 1,236 Jews the administrative area of Lututów, which amounted to almost 12% of the total population. At the start of 1940, the Germans established a ghetto in Lututów where they moved approximately 1,200 people. After the ghetto’s liquidation in August 1942, some Jews were transported to the ghetto in Łódź and the rest were sent to the death camp at Chełmno.

The cemetery is located at a small hill southwest of Lututów at the so-called “Młynek” by the provincial road 482, with an acreage of approximately 1.5 hectares. The exact date of the cemetery’s founding is unknown; it was established sometime in the mid-19th century. During World War II, the cemetery was ruined, the destruction completed at the hands of the local populace. In place of the cemetery, a gravel and sand mine was built. Uncovered skulls and bones were scattered in the nearby woods and on the sides of the road. Currently, the area is used illegally as a refuse dump. There are no traces of tombstones left.