Luoke First Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Lithuania
Region
Telsiai
District
Telsiai
Settlement
Luoke
Site address
Luoke First Jewish Cemetery
GPS coordinates
55.89092, 22.53189
Perimeter length
304 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The cemetery is well-maintained. There is some seasonal vegetation on the site.
Number of existing gravestones
1. There are some stone fragments around the site.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys
No

Historical overview

According to IAJGS, the cemetery contained graves dating back to 1936. As such, the cemetery was already in use in the first half of the 20th century.

Jews began to settle in Luokė (Pl. Łukniki, Yid. לוקניק) in the 17th century. A fire in 1887 and a pogrom caused by a blood libel in 1888 hit the community hard and led to Jewish emigration to America, South Africa and Palestine. In 1897, there were 798 Jews in the town, or 49% of the total population. In the interwar period, the community maintained a Hebrew school, two batei-midrash and a library. The local Jewish People’s Bank (Folksbank) had 91 members in 1927. Zionist organisations were active. About 400 Jews lived in Luokė at the time of the German invasion in 1941. The Jews were killed in the nearby camps in Gudiškė and Geruliai.

View 3D model