Łuków New Jewish Cemetery
In 1859, an area located about 850 metres west of the market square was designated the new Jewish cemetery in Łuków and the first burials began in 1864. The area was gradually expanded and was shaped like two adjacent, elongated quadrilaterals of 1.5 hectares (ha) (currently 1.4 ha). The cemetery was destroyed during World War II. While the Jews were forced to live in the Łuków Ghetto, the Germans ordered all the deceased to be buried in a former gravel pit located 1.6 km south of the city centre in Malcanowski Forest. There, they also executed about 2,000 Jews who were buried in mass graves. After the war, in 1949, survivors exhumed the bodies from various places in and around Łuków (including the Malcanowski Forest) and buried them in the new cemetery (the graves are not marked). They also moved matzevot found in various places to the new cemetery. In 1950, a pyramid-form lapidarium monument made of these matzevot was erected in the cemetery. It contains over 150 sandstone stelae, the oldest of which is from the 1870’s. In 1989, the cemetery in Malcanowski Forest was cleaned up and fenced, and memorial plaques were erected. Currently, the new cemetery is covered with grass and with new trees. In 2017, in the northern part of the cemetery, a new ohel was built. In recent years, matzevot that were found in the city and its vicinity have been brought to the new cemetery.