Lukiv Old Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown, but is estimated to be in the late 18th or early 19th century. The town of Lukiv appears on Russian maps from the mid-19th century. According to locals, the cemetery was located on the site of a private orchard on Moleva Street. It was completely demolished by Soviet authorities after WWII.
The Jews of Lukiv are first mentioned in 1563. In 1701, the community counted 376 Jews. In the late 19th century, the majority of Jews followed Trisk Hasidism, and two synagogues existed. The Jewish population reached a peak of 2,337 (60% of the total population) in 1897. In 1912, a Jewish library and a heder metukan were operating. During WWI, refugees from Luts’k and Rozhyshche resettled to Lukiv and contributed to its cultural and social activity, for example through active drama circles. During the interwar period, Bund and Zionist movements were present. In 1921, a Tarbut school was opened. In 1941, the Jewish population numbered 2,621 (76% of the total population). On June 24, 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Lukiv. The ghetto was created in late 1941, in which the Jews from Lukiv and surrounding villages were imprisoned. The number of Jewish victims, according to different sources, ranging from 1,500 to 2,500. In 1991, two monuments were erected on the mass shooting sites.