Lukanivka Manshurovo Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery appears on Russian topographic maps of the mid-19th century and from 1941. Presumably the cemetery was ruined during or after WWII. The preserved gravestones date back to the 1920s.
Manshurovo was founded in 1848 as a Jewish farmer’s colony, when 68 Jewish families settled there. By 1858, the Jewish population of the town had increased to 873. In 1863, a synagogue was operating. The colonists lacked agricultural skills and rented out their land plots to peasants of neighbouring villages in exchange for half the harvest. In 1870, 49 families had their own estates and ten families kept horses. In the 19th century, the Jewish population of the colony was active in agriculture, as well as domestic craft and petty trade. Some of the colonists searched for work in other places. In 1870, the lustration commission deprived arable land and hayfields from the colonists. Home gardens and cattle pastures remained in the colonists’ possession. In 1897, the population numbered 563. In 1905, a synagogue was operating. In the period of WWI and the Civil War, the Jewish community was attacked during pogroms and suffered pillage, famine and epidemics. During the 1920s, a reading house and a two-grade elementary school for Jewish children were active. In 1921, a soap-making artel was set up in Manshurovo. In 1925, the Jewish population numbered 337. In 1929, the Jewish population worked in the kolkhozes “Kotovsky” and “Khleborob”. During 1932 and 1933, the community suffered famine. The Jewish community of Manshurovo was eradicated during the Holocaust.