Lublin New Jewish Cemetery
The land for the new Jewish cemetery in Lublin (about 3.66 hectares (ha)) was purchased in 1829, and burials began in 1930. It was located 1.3 km north of the market square, outside the built-up area of the city. In the southern part, there was a square with a funeral house, utility rooms, and an access road. The cemetery was surrounded by a brick wall. The cemetery was gradually expanded towards the north and, in the 1930’s, covered a highly elongated polygon-shaped area of 8.6 ha. There were mainly traditional stelae in the cemetery, but there were also non-traditional tombstones (obelisks, sculptures of a broken tree, piled up rocks, etc.). Two brick ohels were also built in the cemetery: one commemorating the Ejger rabbinic dynasty of Lublin Hasidim (burials from 1888 to 1930; rebuilt in 1998) and the other honoring Rabbi Jehuda Meir Szapira (the preserved, original one). In 1918, a small Jewish military cemetery was established on the southern side of the new cemetery. During World War II, as a result of numerous deaths in the Ghetto, the new cemetery was expanded by 2.5 ha to the north in 1940. Until the liquidation of the Ghetto, over 6,000 people were buried there. After 1942, the cemetery was almost completely destroyed. Only a fragment of the wall and a few tombstones have survived. In 1944, after the liberation of Lublin, the current cemetery was established on the site of the former cemetery square, which is still in use. The bodies of Jews exhumed from the city and its surrounding areas were also buried in the cemetery over time (the last burial was in 1990). Two Holocaust memorials were erected in the newest part of the cemetery. In the 1960’s, the cemetery was leveled and divided by a new communication artery. Moreover, two of the more remote areas of the cemetery were built over. In the years 1988–1993, thanks to the funds of the Sara and Manfred Bass-Frenkel Foundation, the cemetery was fenced with artistic elements made of concrete and cast iron, and two architectural memorials were erected at the southern and northern edges. The southern part of the former burial ground is an empty meadow, and the northern part is organized as a square with alleys. The area of the former military cemetery is within the contemporary boundaries of the cemetery. The cemetery is also used to store tombstones found in the city and its surrounding areas (Wieniawa, Głusk, Puławy).