Liskiava Jewish Cemetery
Given the oldest preserved tombstone dates to 1900, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded no later than the early 20th century.
Jews first settled in Liškiava (Pl. Liszkowo, Yid. לישקעוו) in the early 18th century on the invitation of Dominican monks, who wanted to develop the settlement. In 1761, Jews owned 11 houses out of 16. The Jewish population grew to 90 in 1819 and to 170 in 1821. In 1897, about a third of the village’s 613 residents were Jewish. According to the first census of the Independent Lithuanian state, there were 146 Jews in Liškiava, or 36% of the total population, in 1923. About 10 Jewish families remained in the village at the time of the Soviet occupation in 1940. After the German invasion, the Jews of Liškiava were taken to Merkinė and murdered there.