Lipik Jewish Cemetery
Lipik is a town in western Slavonia, in Požega-Slavonia County. During the time of the Russian Empire, it was already a well-known resort town. Lipik’s healing iodine water with a temperature of 64 degrees rises from a depth of 2000 metres. Slavonia came under Turkish rule in 1543 and was ruled by Turkey for nearly 150 years. After liberation from Turkish rule in 1691, some Croatian families settled in Lipik. By this time, the village had become one of the most popular balneological resorts in Europe. The settlement had 18 courtyards in 1724 and 44 courtyards in 1736. In the 18th century the surrounding swamps were drained, artesian wells were dug, and two new baths were built. Jews settled in Lipik in the 19th century and the Jewish cemetery—which was part of the main municipal cemetery—was established around the same time. In 1931 Jews accounted for 47 individuals among total population of 1,200 in Lipik. During World War II, all 41 Jews of the village were sent to concentration camps where they died. No more Jews remained in Lipik after the war.
The Jewish cemetery was abandoned after World War II, though between 30-40 monuments remain. All the tombstones are damaged, and some inscriptions are obliterated. The oldest tombstone dates to 1914 and the latest to 1935.