Levkiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Country
Ukraine
Region
Zhytomyr
District
Zhytomyr
Settlement
Levkiv
Site address
The cemetery is located 100m northeast of No.28 Shakhraya street.
GPS coordinates
50.25073, 28.85418
Perimeter length
140 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
no
Type and height of existing fence
There is no fence.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is partly overgrown. It is covered with tense seasonal vegetation. It needs clearing.
Number of existing gravestones
There are 7 illegible gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
N/A
Date of newest tombstone
N/A
Urgency of erecting a fence
High
Land ownership
Municipality
Preserved construction on site
No
Drone surveys
Yes

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the fence of the cemetery was demolished during WWII, along with the service buildings and the majority of the tombstones, for building purposes. Part of the area was used for vegetable gardens. As such it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged and operated no later than during the pre-war period.

The Jewish community of Levkiv (Ukr. Левків, Rus. Левков, Yid. לעווקעוו) numbered about 240 in 1870, which was 22% of 1117 total population. As of 1885, the Jewish community maintained a prayer house. In 1923, there were 118 Jews in Levkiv.
It is unknown when the cemetery was founded. The fence, the buildings and most of the tombstones were demolished during WWII and the materials were reused for construction. Today only a few stones can still be seen, the inscriptions upon them are illegible.