Leshniv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, it appears on the Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1880s. According to Pinkas haKehillot, the cemetery was operating until 1939. Jews first settled in the early 17th century. A Jewish cemetery was established from the emerge of the Jewish community. In 1880, 696 Jews lived (31.6% of the total population) in Leshniv. In the 17-18th century, the Jews were engaged mainly in crafts and trade. Yoel Halperin (from 1760), Zvi-Hirsh Ramraz (in the mid-19th century) and other rabbis served in Leshniv. In the first half of the 19th century, a synagogue was built. In 1900, the Jewish population was 513 (25.6% of the total population). The peak of the Jewish population was about 800 in 1911, and it fell to 179 (9.5% of the total population) in 1921. In summer 1941, the Wehrmacht occupied Leshniv. In January 1942, 269 Jews resided in Leshniv. On November 2, 1942, a ghetto was established. On 17 April 1943, the Leshniv ghetto was liquidated, and more than 250 Jews were deported to the Brody ghetto. 19 Jews returned to Leshniv after WWII.