Lelow New Jewish Cemetery
The new Jewish cemetery in Lelów is located east of the village centre, north of the intersection of the national road No. 46 to Paulinów and Źródlana Street, near the Białka River. The cemetery’s exact establishment is unknown, though it was established by the 19th century, in an area of about 3.6 hectares. During World War II, the cemetery was completely devastated. The Germans removed tombstones, which they likely used as construction material. In 1952 the cemetery was used as arable land. In 2012, fragments of matzevot were found in the cemetery. Other parts, found in 2016, were deposited under a roadside tree. The cemetery is not marked and there is no form of commemoration.
The village of Lelów, formerly a town, was granted town rights in 1354. Its foundation status was downgraded in 1869. The first records of Jewish settlement in Lelów date to the 16th century. In 1564, there were six Jewish families in the town, and over a dozen by 1598. In 1787, 231 Jews lived in Lelów. In the second half of the 18th century, Tzadik Dawid Biedermann (1746–1814), a student of Elimelech from Leżajsk, settled in Lelów and formed a large Hasidic community. The Jewish population grew over the following years: in 1808, 269 Jews lived in the town (constituting 29% of the total population), 339 in 1827 (39%), 480 in 1857 (53%), and 720 in 1897 Jews (60%). During World War II, in September 1942, the Jews of Lelów (about 700 people) were deported to the Treblinka. The descendants of Tzadik Biedermann now live in Israel.