Leipalingis Jewish Cemetery
Given the oldest preserved tombstone is dated 1798, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded no later than the late 18th century.
Jews received land in Leipalingis (Pl. Lejpuny, Yid. לייפּון) from the Russian government and built a Jewish colony in 1847. The community had a beautiful synagogue. In 1897, the Jewish population was 134, or 10% of the total. In 1915, the Jews were expelled by the retreating Russian army, and many never returned. Zionist organisations were active in the interwar period. At the time of the Soviet occupation in 1940, about 30 Jewish families lived in Leipalingis. After the German invasion in 1941, all of the Jews were murdered.