Lask Oldest Jewish Cemetery
The oldest Jewish cemetery in Łask’s exact establishment date is unknown, though it is known that it was established next to the synagogue at Żeromskiego Street – most likely in the 17th century. No remains of the cemetery have survived. According to the testimony of J. Lewkowicz, the cemetery was located in the square in front of the Fire Department in Łask, at the corner of Strażacka Street and Marii Konopnickiej Street.
Łask was first recorded as a village in 1356 and was granted town rights in 1422. Jews first settled in Łask as early as the 16th century, though the Jewish community only developed in the 17th century, following numerous privileges which were issued to the community by the owner of the town. The Jewish population continued to increase throughout the 18th century. By 1793, there were 1,327 Jews in the town, constituting 77% of the population. In 1921, Łask had 4,890 inhabitants, including 2,116 Jews, most of whom were Hasidim. In 1940, there were 3,366 Jews in Łask. In the same year, the Germans established a Judenrat in the town, headed by Zelman Kochman. On November 18, 1940, they established the ghetto, which was liquidated beginning on August 23, 1942, at the command of Hans Biebow. The Germans murdered about 70 people in the town around this time. 900 Jews were transported to the Łódź Ghetto, and another 3,000 to the extermination camp in Chełmno nad Nerem.